2/4/11

Six Months Smoke Free

Wow, I can not believe that in less than twenty four hours I will be half a year smoke free.  I never thought that I would make it past the first week, let alone the first day.  Now I hardly ever even think about smoking, and when I do think about it, it is only a passing craving and nothing serious.  I really believe that I will never pick up another cigarette as long as I live now, and that feels fantastic!  I can say honestly I am a non smoker.  So here are some things that I enjoy most about being a non smoker.
1.  I can go into a restaurant or a movie and not worry about how long I will have to go without a cigarette.  I can just enjoy my time with whomever I am with and be fully present in the current situation.  Cravings do not ruin the fun that I am trying to have, or determine where I will go.

2.  I smell better.  I do not smell like a ashtray.

3.  I can smell other things better.  Can also be a curse sometimes though because I can smell smokers and they smell bad.  No offense if you smoke but I never realized how bad I smelled until I quit smoking.  That alone is enough to make me never want to pick up another cigarette.

4.  I do not get winded when I exercise or clean like I used to.  My stamina is better.

5.  I have my singing voice back.  I can hit high notes again.  And when I wake up in the morning I do not sound like a man for the first couple of hours.

6.  When I get sick I do not cough my brains out.  I still have a stuffy nose and cough occasionally.  But I don't have the hacking cough that I used to have.

7.  My car, my clothes, and my house don't smell like an ashtray.  And all the Christmas gifts that I gave away this year did not reek of cigarettes.

These are the things that I love about being a non-smoker.

1 comment:

joepainter said...

congratulations again. It doesn't seem like 6 months already, but I know how hard this was for you. Keep up the good work.